Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Book Review: Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton

 




 
Title: Seeker
Author: Arwen Elys Dayton
Genre: Sci Fi/ Fantasy
Series: Seekers Book 1
Source: Digital ARC Courtesy of NetGalley



Book Summary: Quin Kincaid has been put through years of brutal training for what she thinks is the noble purpose of becoming a revered ‘Seeker’.  Only when it’s too late does she discover she will be using her new-found knowledge and training to become an assassin. Quin's new role will take her around the globe, from a remote estate in Scotland to a bustling, futuristic Hong Kong where the past she thought she had escaped will finally catch up with her.


Characters: Quin Kincaid, Shinobu, John, and Maud

What I Loved: I loved a lot in this book.  First I liked the set up of the book.  The chapters are set up so that each character is giving us their part of the story from their point of view and I like that.  It is clearly labeled at the beginning of each chapter who is speaking and more than that, it really works for this story.  I think the story would be confusing or take a lot more explaining (making it extremely tedious).  In this way the story can unfold naturally and often we see an event from multiple points of view which really helps in clarifying some things in the story that are initially confusing.  I also really liked the story.  It was different from what I have been reading and lately and was a welcome change. In its basic sense it is a story about following your dreams these three (Quin, Shinobu and John) are being trained to become a Seeker, something elite are revered only to find that they have been deceived. Now that they know the truth, what will they do and how will they come to terms with their choices.  Which leads to my next love of the story,the action! There was a ton and not all of it was expected or predictable but it was intense and (for lack of better term), hardcore!   There is also the love story part which I am not normally a fan of but for a few reasons ( that I will not elaborate on as to not give spoilers), it totally works (and I know who I am rooting for) and lets be honest, they are teenagers, if there wasn’t a little romance going on it wouldn’t be believable. There are family issues, trust issues, questions of morality and love, which makes it relatable to a lot of different students and I can think of a ton who are going to love this!  

What I could have done without:.  There isn’t much I didn’t like.   The most difficult thing for me is going to be talking about this book with my students without giving too much away!

Final Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment