Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review: Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake

Review by Janine

I have to be honest, this book has been sitting on my bookshelf for sometime, I am not sure why it took me so long to pick it up but I am so glad that I finally read it!
First, I must begin my review with an explanation about my love of ghost stories.  My reading evolution began with the Babysitters Club series (because who wasn't reading this in elementary school???).  As I out grew this series, I remember not knowing what to read next.  My mother directed me to, who else, but Nancy Drew.  This was right around the time that they made Nancy a more modern girl.  Needless to say, I devoured those books, and my love of mysteries began.  Once I hit middle school however, I was "too cool" for Nancy, so my quest for new "cooler" books began, and then I found Christopher Pike.  From then on, I was obsessed with ghost stories, the gorier the better.  So imagine my surprise when I finally pick up this book, and I realize it is a true ghost story (which rocks!). 
Cas Lowood is just your typical high school student, who happens to kills ghosts.  He understands how this sounds, but his job as he likes to call it, is to "kill" ghosts.  Not just any ghosts, but those who kill or harm humans.  He inherited his job from his father, who was killed by a ghost that he was trying to kill himself.  Cas's long-term goal is to find and kill the ghost that killed his father, but for now, he is practicing and building himself up for that day.  The newest ghost in Cas's sights is Anna Dressed In Blood.  This ghost lives in a house and kills anyone who dares to enter it. Cas arrives in Thunder Bay with his mother (whom is a witch) and their cat Tybalt.  He doesn't know that this town and this ghost will change him  and the way he views his life in a very definite way.  The first change for Cas is that he attracts the attention of the popular girl in school.  Her jealous ex-boyfriend finds out about Cas's interest in Anna and offers to take him to her house, where he roughs Cas up and dumps him in her house.  Instead of Anna killing Cas, she takes pity on him for reasons he can't figure and instead kills the ex-boyfriend.  After meeting Anna, Cas can't stay away, and can't figure her out.  She seems to be two different people.  At times and her mean streak loves to show him the horrors that her house holds.  Cas, more than anything, wants to know her story and why she kills.  He also finds himself wanting to help her more than anything, and if it is possible, finds himself caring for her.  So with the help of two unlikely friends, they begin a quest to find out what happened to Anna and how to stop her. When another, extremely powerful ghost who comes to stop the ghost killer for good arrives, Cas becomes the hunted and the hunted will do anything to survive.

1 comment: